This is the Senior PORTRAITS page for the Class of 2020.
The 2020 Antler yearbook’s deadline for senior portraits is Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019.
You will submit a digital photo file using a direct link to Jostens, our yearbook publisher. You can find the link on this page (below), but be sure to note the formatting requirements. For example, you must submit a VERTICAL portrait, and we recommend a head-and-shoulders shot rather than a full-body shot, because the portraits will appear in the yearbook at the approximate size of a credit card, so a closer portrait means we’ll see faces more clearly.
There is a $50 late fee. We need a photo of each senior for the yearbook. We will arrange to have a student photographer take portraits.
ARE THERE FORMAT AND STYLE REQUIREMENTS?
- We need a vertical portrait.
- We strongly recommend that the student fill most of the frame of the photo (a head-and-shoulders or half-body composition would work well). Take a look at the senior portraits in a previous copy of The Antler, which your son or daughter should have, and you will see which distances and poses tend to work well for senior portraits.
- The size as published will be 10 picas wide x 15 picas high (1.67″ x 2.5″). Again, this is about the size of a credit card, and it will be vertical.
- Resolution: 300 dpi (dots or pixels per inch) or higher at the size above. You typically cannot tell if the photo has adequate resolution by viewing it on a screen. Many website images are only 72 dpi (higher is better, and we need at least 300 dpi for yearbook printing). You can determine a file’s resolution using Photoshop, Preview or another photography application. The file size may also give you a clue. High-resolution photos are typically larger files, often 1 MB or larger rather than 100 KB.
- File format: JPEG ONLY. This is very important.
- Portraits must comply with the school dress code.
- Our goal is to be able to recognize every senior. Please, no hats or sunglasses, hands by the face, etc. Again, we discourage full-body or distant images (which make the face too small).
- We prefer color portraits but will accept grayscale images.
- Photographers, please note: No borders, special effects or watermarks; we will try to crop them out if you include them.
DO I REALLY NEED TO SUBMIT A PORTRAIT?
Yes. We will include a vertical portrait of each senior in the graduating class. If you do not submit a portrait by the deadline, we will either use their school portrait from junior year or take a portrait in our classroom. Please contact us if you would prefer that. There is no charge for the portraits we take.
DO I NEED A PROFESSIONAL PORTRAIT?
No. Many seniors do choose to visit a professional portrait studio for this milestone, but it’s not required. Some have portraits taken by experienced friends or relatives who understand our technical requirements. If you use a professional studio, they get busy in the fall, so please make reservations as soon as you can.
FINALLY: SUBMIT YOUR PORTRAIT!
You or your photographer will upload them directly to Jostens, our yearbook publisher:
- Click this link to go to the Minnehaha portal at Images.Jostens.com
- Choose the photo to be uploaded. REMEMBER, each student may only submit ONE photo!
- Provide parent or photographer contact information. (The person uploading the photo should enter his/her information.)
- Provide IMAGE information: Type the student’s first and last name as you would like it to appear in the yearbook. It is extremely important to spell the student’s name correctly. Select “grade 12” from the drop-down menu. In the description field, type Senior Portrait. Click the box to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click on “upload chosen images” in blue box to complete the process.
- You will see a confirmation page and should receive a confirmation email shortly after your submission.
NOTE: Photographers uploading several clients’ photos may upload more than one student’s photo at a time.
Questions? Please contact Reid Westrem, yearbook adviser: [email protected]